Friday, July 13, 2012

Vacation Day 3

The Boat! The Boat!




Saturday afternoon we are finally able to get to the Marina and rent our boat. The Marina is also without power and warns us the tank is full, but they can not guarantee when power will be up and we can refill. As discouraging as this seemed, it was at least a bright spot in our vacation. A boat means swimming, fishing and at least trolling the lake!



Excited, we pick the boat up and the boys and I take it back to the cabin while Mark drives the car back. I actually get to drive, rare occasion. Dan however will dock it. We load up with cooler, ice, dogs and fishing gear and take off for the rest of Saturday, not returning until late afternoon. Boys were happy to fish and the dogs love the boat. I took pictures of the water, trees, men and dogs. The sun was hot and the water cool.



The rest of the day was spent cooking, cleaning up and talking. Mark and I exhaustlessly headed to bed as soon as the sky turned a soft gray. Dan and Mike settled in for the night on the dock to fish. They were having a grand time away from us parents with the water, fishing poles and stars that lit the sky.



Sunday July 1, 2012



We woke early again to find still no electric. I smelled the coffee rifting in the open door. Coffee was good, strong and I loved it. I suggested to Mark instead of the mug as he did the first day, he poured it through the coffee maker and straight into a pot. It worked! Not as hot and of course would not keep it hot, so he made enough for a couple of cups at a time. We are learning to be campers in a strange sense. Tedious, but oh so good to me. However, he and Dan found it way too strong and they ended up with the jitters.



I felt like I had slept way too long for me. Normally, I am a very light sleeper who wakes several times in the night and is usually up by 4 am to read. We had gone to bed much to early for this lady and my body ached from the couch.



The sun is out and the boys are still sleeping. Our boat lies waiting. The day stretches ahead of us and that makes me happy. It was going to be another hot day. Sounds drift around of others clearing up from the storm, chain saws, blowers and generators hum loudly. Despite the man made noises, the chirping of birdsong lifts in the air.



We decide to run and get ice and pick up some refreshments before we head out on the boat again. We look forward to a nice day of boating and fishing. The boys stock up on snacks and chatter about the day ahead.



The hard part about where the cabin sits is the hill you have to climb up and down to get to the lake. It is steep and only has a few scattered steps here and there. If the ground gets wet it is slippery mud and you slide. I brought a cane this time. We of course had to enlist the boys to carry items and take the hyper dogs down. Mark and I would then make a slow decline after them. This year I found it easier, not sure why, maybe it was my mind-set to make the best of it and I also chose not to rush. I took my time going down and climbing back up. The owner nicknamed the hill “Heart Attack Hill.”



We were all pretty happy to be able to take the boat out and I prepared sandwiches to eat on board. Sammy, our Golden Retriever must have remembered his last trip on the boat as he was super excited. He rode up front most of the time, sticking his head through the gate and sniffing the air. Oliver our small Yorkie lay down beside me, Dan called him a vacation dog because he knew the value of relaxation.



Yesterday we lost eight fish, one I had caught when we forgot to haul in the net before we took off. Not only did we lose the fish which was a shame, but the metal basket to keep them in. Dan felt bad and promised his dad to buy another. Of course now I had no proof of the lone fish I had caught. Darn it all!



A few hours of fishing, swimming and allowing the dogs to get wet and run along the bank was refreshing. The hot sun beat down upon us and the fish were a little more shy today but the boys had faith their night fishing would bring us more as the evening cooled.



I had taken a bath in the lake yesterday which felt great. I had small shampoo, conditioner, a bar of soap and liquid gel. Lake water would do for me and it cooled me off for at least a few hours after climbing back up the hill. I finally convinced the guys after two days and hot weather to try a bath in the lake I knew the stink would force them to go in or me to push them in. Let me tell you, sweat, worm guts and fish smell is not very appealing in temperatures of 98 plus. We stank!



Later, I spotted a beautiful red-headed woodpecker in the tree to the right of the cabin. A hummingbird feeder hung empty and I felt sad I would not see my little friend from last year. Birds are so lovely here and I wish I knew names of the several types I saw. We did spot a Crane or two on the lake. Lovely as it took flight as we edged closer, gliding through the air.



Our meal tonight will be hamburgers on the grill and some fried potatoes cooked by Dan our son. I think I shall sit and watch him cook while enjoying the sight of tall trees and sounds of laughter from my family. Even without electric, I find I am very much enjoying this time together. Who could ask for more? Thank you Lord.



Teresa Gale











No comments:

Post a Comment