Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vacation 2012 Day Four




July 2, 2012

Powerless in Stifling Heat Wave

Another hot night left me tossing and turning. The nights’ here seem to drag on forever or is it just due to the super dark forest that surrounds us? The boys stay on the dock till late at night and then with flashlights climb “Heart Attack Hill”, oh to be young again! I often wake when I hear them come up, flashlights glowing on the deck and causing havoc with our dogs that sense more than just the boys in the woods. Last night the dogs woke me to bark, growl and run around my bed. It seems a critter or a few critters thought it funny we novice campers would leave trash for them. So they rummaged through the trash while our dogs were itching to attack them.

The thrashing on the deck sounded pretty loud and Mark rose to shut the glass door. We have no idea if it is small or large, but we do not want to invite the creature inside. Of course, closing the door made our cabin hotter and created more tossing and turning for me all night.

The next morning, yes, still without electric, we rose to find teeth marked paper plates and trash strew all over deck and on the ground. The boys shared they thought it was big, maybe a bear, but I think it was most likely a raccoon who are famously known for trash hunts. Time for coffee making and clean up before we head to the boat.

Yesterday we boated only once trying to conserve the gas, word has it may be several days before we see power restored. This storm hit hard and knocked out several counties. Yesterday, we had a threat of a storm which drove the boys off the dock around nine o’clock. Trees rustled with a strong breeze which had me cautiously eyeing the sky. The good thing, it never hit and it brought cooler temperatures for several hours.

Mark started the coffee while I straighten up our make shift beds, wash a few dishes and gather my bible and journal to sit on deck. While I read, Mark goes down under the deck to begin the critter clean up. As he exists the door, I hear him moan. Cobwebs like the one pictured on my page seem to materialize every night and no matter how often we knock them down, happy spiders rebuild quickly at night. Mark gets tangled every morning in the clingy webs.

Day Four of our primitive adventure is starting a little cooler. Mark had a bad health day yesterday and the heat really took its toll on him. I convinced him to keep a washcloth in the cooler of ice and apply to his face to cool off. For me, swimming works and I try to dip in the waters a few times a day, but Mark is reluctant to travel the hill with his joints hurting. He loaded up with water most of the afternoon, in this heat we are all dehydrating and keeping water on ice.

After clean up and coffee, we need to do an ice run. We buy food as we need it so it won’t go bad as the ice melts too quickly. My back hurts from the couch sleeping, but with the cooler temperatures slept a tad better than the previous couple of nights.

I keep my time occupied with reading and scrapbooking. I almost did not bring my stuff as I felt I might just be wasting the space, but so glad I did. Each day I spread out on the picnic table and work on a few pages. It helps pass the time and feeds the creative side of me. So far I think I have finished about seven pages in the last couple of days, I am even scraping in my journal. I find I like doing that. I find I am getting more creative things done here, except for writing. The only writing I am doing in my journal which details our trip and the cards and letters I send the kids. We will make a trip to town soon and I can mail them. I have no real distractions here and am getting more “me” time.

If only I could create time once home to continue with my creative side. This time with no power has stirred something inside me. I found we have many more resources when we really pay attention. We have learned to survive despite the irritation we have invented ways to make ourselves more comfortable and stuck it out for four days. This time of quiet without distractions is really what I have craved for a long time. So today, I give thanks to God for showing us what we are made of. Sometimes we are forced to become stronger and allow our creative sides to emerge.

Later, we decide to venture out to Cadiz which lies 13 miles away. Why does such a short distance stretch on forever when we travel on country roads? We do get to see the AE Power linemen at work, more trees down, fences pushed down from the thrust of the storm. Finally! Civilization!

You know you are in civilization when the golden arches of a McDonalds come into sight. Phone service! Limited for sure, but at least we can receive and send a few texts to family to let them know we are safe. We pull into the comfort of the golden arches and grab some late breakfast. Yes, fast food can really taste good after a few days without.

The town folk seem curious over us and a table set with several “elderly” gentlemen make small talk with us. Mark asks directions and we all discuss the storm. Dan states he thinks these same men were here last year and gave us directions. This place must be a social gathering for some folks.

We eat, check phones, use the running water facility and head out for our main excitement, The Dollar General Store. It seems funny that when you are from a bigger city and thrust into small town living how exciting an outing like this can really perk you up quickly. We all roamed the aisles looking for things we may need, a new ice chest as two didn’t hold all we needed, plastic bowls to put meat into, and other needed supplies. Seventy-two dollars later we left the store satisfied with our bargains. We took a quick tour of the town to find the grocery store and post office.

I am spending days not just scrapbooking and journaling but also to write the old fashioned cards and letters that I single handedly brought back to life a year or two ago. The post office was close the grocer and we quickly ran inside as the heat again was climbing into the upper nineties.

The grocery store is ok. Meat looks a little “iffy” to say the least. Another seventy dollars later for fruit, meat, drinks and veggies, finishes off our food needs. Our next stop is the hardware store to replace the basket we lost for fishing. Cha Ching! Our trip to civilization was an expensive venture for sure.

Now we head back to the cabin and our fishing time.

The rest of the day is spent fishing, boating, bathing and swimming. I catch another Blue Gill and enjoy the refreshing waters to cool off. However, when I bring out the shampoo and soap back at the dock, my little Blue Gills family start nipping at my legs while I try and bathe. Ouch! It does not hurt as much as surprise me and I jump each time one nibbles at me.

Dinner tonight is London broil, Fried potatoes and vegetables that Daniel Son cooks. The dinner was wonderful. Dan did a great job. The night heat is uncomfortable and even my dip in the lake is not enough to keep my skin from boiling. After dinner, dishes and clean up, I grab a cool rag from the ice chest and lie as motionless as I can with the rag on my head. It’s only 9:00 pm and I am miserable from the heat with no break in sight.

This is going to be a long, hot night and I am not looking forward to it. Up until now, I have weathered the heat pretty good, but tonight is my turn to pray for a rescue and a cool fan. Lying for several hours barely moving, I finally doze off as the air shifts and degree or two downward. The dog rouse me from sleep once again as “Rocky” raccoon visits us again. It’s 3 am according to my cell phone and I moan with aggravation. Heat, dogs, critters have kept me awake for several nights.

Grabbing a flashlight I pull myself off of the sagging couch better known as my bed and shine it out on the deck. Oliver our little fierce Yorkie, growls meanly while I scan the light around looking for our night critter. Sure enough, to my right, sitting next to the dog food we forgot again the bring in the cabin two beady eyes stare back and chop away unworried about me. I watch him for a moment and decide he or she is not worth my effort to scare him off and get bit. I crawl over the dogs shushing them and fall back onto the couch. Oliver gives one final forceful bark and growl before curling up by my legs miffed he was not allowed to get the critter. I almost believe our little Ollie could take the raccoon!



I struggle back asleep remembering the words for the local gossip line our favorite Ambassador Ted, that the electric company is edging closer to us and we should have power soon. Day four closes with those thoughts stirring me back to sleep.

We stink! Is my last thought as I drift into dreams of the hum of air conditioning and coolness.

Teresa Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment