Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Forever My Friend, Forever Friends

Forever My Friend, Forever


I am thinking of my best friends from High School today, having just spent a few days with one as she journeyed up to my part of town for business. It was good to see her again, it had been two years since we were last together, but it was if time had stood still.

Easy friendships are hard to come by and I count my blessings that I have been so blessed to have two friends so long. We met back when I was a mere twelve years old and through the years our friendship was sealed.

The dictionary online defined friendship as: a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard. The Synonyms for friend are chum, comrade, crony and confidant.



I can honestly say I have affection for my friends and they are my comrades in life along with being someone I can share and confide in. We have weathered many storms in each of our lives and been “life savers” for one another, each with our own unique flavor.



This past week, as Jackie and I got together for the first time in ages, we tried to fit in everything we could think of as far as talking. Our throats dry from the constant yapping, the late nights fill ins and the laughter caused us to almost lose our voices. We tried to take turns, but often one of us was yakking so much, trying to share the bits and pieces of our lives that the other needed only to listen. I stayed quiet much of the time, trying to soak it all in. I memorized the way she talked, laughed and looked for I know only too well that life is short, life is busy and often we may go months without a word from each other.



I felt so sad when she left and collapsed on my sofa enveloped in a depression. It is like this each time we get together. I told her I so longed for us to live closer than the 5 ½ hours journey, but God has not seen fit for this to happen.



I am a writer, who longs to write long letters, send emails, and post Face book photos, while Jackie and Sue are less into that. I need that connection that only technology or the lonely pen can try and substitute for plain old togetherness. Life is just too busy. Strange when you consider all the technology we have at hand, but having it also makes our lives much too busy.



I do know, without any doubts, we are lifelong friends; we have each other’s backs and that no matter the miles, the length of not communicating, that we each have the deepest love and respect for each other.



I tried to express this to my thirteen year old granddaughter the other day, explaining that good friends take time; they have to settle, grown up, age together, shift into a friendship that time cannot destroy. I also note that our friendship is a rare find and one I treasure. True friends care only for the best in each other, cheer each other on, comfort, confide, laugh, cry and hold each other close in hearts. We three friends, Jackie, Sue and I have found this great treasure of just enjoying each other’s company.



After my recent diagnosis of a blood clot, I know in an instant, all that can be lost. Not the friendship, for that will go on forever and ever. However, at a moment’s notice one of us could disappear. Have I told them enough how much I respect them each, how much I miss them and love them? Have I voiced the fact that no matter what, I am there with them in my heart? Do they know that nothing can destroy this deep friendship? If I haven’t, it is high time I do this.



This night, I shall write one of my long love letters for each of them. Tonight, I will sit and think of all the wonderful ladies who have walked into my life, God sent and cherish them. God has blessed me, not with just my two best friends, but with many, many others who have danced this dance of life with me. Tonight, I tell you each, I love you.



Teresa Gale



1 comment: