Friday, December 18, 2009

Cherish This Day


The days of the month are speeding by like a calendar blowing in the wind. I can’t get over that it is almost the end of the year. I am truly thankful though as this year has been full of challenges and I will be happy to start a new year with a clean slate.

Meantime, the Christmas holidays are up on us. Our Christmases are changing quite a bit now that most of the kids are gone. It is a time of transition in a parent’s life, a time to rethink and adjust. This mother finds it sometimes difficult and lonely. Yet, I can also remember when I was young, newly married and with small children. There were times I wished to make new traditions and after a few years we did just that. Pulling away from a parent’s traditions and beginning one’s own is not a bad thing, it is part of growing up.

I am so blessed to have such wonderful children, six in all. Our oldest is married with two beautiful grandchildren. I can remember the days when she was tiny and in awe of Christmas. Now here she is a mother and wife doing her own thing and I am so proud. Our second oldest daughter is married with a handsome little boy. She and her sister are just one year apart.

When I think of the two of them, the beginning of my young life, my married life, my family life, I get all misty-eyed. They are the children of my youth. I am amazed at how beautiful they have turned out despite my many mistakes and mishaps in parenting. They are each in their own right strong women, intelligent women who have formed into compassionate people.

In counting my blessings this week, I count my children high on the list. They are my lifeblood, my reason for being. God saw fit to bring me six children to love and care for in life. I didn’t not always do well; I stumbled and fell along the way trying to find a step to our dance in life. I did love them the best I could, with every fiber of my being.

They challenged me at times and I challenged them along the way. I would not trade one single moment of my life with any of them. There are moments in which I dream of turning back the hands of time for a chance to be still with them. I hurried too much through life and often feel as if I blinked and they went from newborn in my arms to grown women and men.

It goes all too quickly, this life we have. My prayers to each one of them is to slow down and savor every second of their lives. Dear Children, life will pass you by if you don’t take time to stop the hands and be still. God has given you this beautiful present of a life, use it wisely, slow down and cherish these days, for tomorrow is a day away or not at all. Live this moment and love those you are belong to. I pray for each one of my children and that they may find the true meaning in life. God be with you all.

I love you.
Teresa Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment